Actually problem gambling isn’t just a phase that will pass without efforts, it is not just a bad day or week (and then you say it will never happen again), it is not a way out of your routine and financial difficulties. It is a disease in a form of the addiction and it is as bad as alcohol or drugs and may lead to very dangerous situations. So this is a serious mental issue that medically is defined as an impulse control disorder, which results in not being able to manage the desire to venture even if the person knows it might hurt his relationships, job or financial status.
Thus, when the line between having fun and becoming an addict crosses on the wrong side, it’s time to seek for professional help. We will discuss here some important points that should be applied by someone who has such problems. According to the gambling addiction statistics the chances to fall on this wrong path are more than 20 times higher when you tend to drink alcohol frequently or use other drug substances, have a depression, stress or some kind of other mental disorder. It also shows that the highest rates of people with such issue include young adults (from 20 to 30 years old).
Many gambling articles that contain the results of the main researches on the topic of poor staking behavior reveal quite unpleasant data, which shows that crime rates tend to increase much among people with the disorder.
So our mission is to share necessary information that will make people aware of all dangers and to show methods how to avoid them or help to make first steps in curing this illness.
Signs of Gambling Addiction
To understand a little bit better if you or your closest people have such kind of issue, it is recommended to consider such obvious signs that should trigger the warning alarm:
- Playing staking games secretly, hiding and lying about the time spent on this. Or maybe not being honest, how much money is burned through on such entertainment.
- Not being capable to stop, even when the bankroll is almost drained resulting in falling into debts. Having a strong desire to start playing right away without any stop instinct (compulsive gambling).
- Choosing to spend money on betting amusements over your and family needs, borrowing or even stealing things and cash just to have a possibility to go on playing (pathological gambling).
- Strictly denying having a problem, even if everyone around says that there is something to worry about.
Are You Ready to Talk and Share Your Story?
You can always get information or support from specialists in gambling addiction. As well as you can talk to people who also affected by problem gambling.
We created a short list of support services to help you determine if you should learn more about the path to recovery.
- Victorian Responsible Gambling Foundation
- The Gamblers Rehabilitation Fund
- Gambling Help Online
- Ohio for Responsible Gambling
Except the obvious signs which indicate that there is a trouble regarding excessive betting habits, that’s not all. Almost always such disorder causes bad changes on a psychological level, which have such emotional symptoms as depression, unstable mood states, aggression, anxiety and even thought about committing suicide. These all could be a real part of the binge playing behavior when the person lives only for a hope to win, but actually he loses every aspect of normal life.
Physical Need of Gambling
In addition to the emotional symptoms, this goes even further causing physical sufferings to the addicted person when there is no opportunity to start staking session. This need results in hand shaking and scratching, headaches, high blood pressure, and increased heart rate, and once it is satisfied everything may get back to normal for a certain amount of time. So this reaction is quite similar to the reaction of people who takes drugs, what shows how dangerous this condition could be.
We are offering to complete a short test, which can help recognizing the problem and start taking some steps.
Within the period of twelve months you:
- 1. Started increasing your bets to gain more feelings and the thrill of the game?
- 2. Felt bad and uncomfortable when considering quitting this type of entertainment?
- 3. Took unsuccessful numerous steps to give up taking risks in online amusements?
- 4. Were obsessed with the thoughts of playing the betting game again, overthinking past gaming sessions, planning how to get cash for the next time venturing?
- 5. Played again every time you have lost money just to beat the machine or at least have an even score?
- 6. Ventured after having some stress, depression or a feeling of loneliness?
- 7. Hid your true spending on wagering or lied about being involved in such things?
- 8. Lost some important opportunity, relationships, job, scholarship or something very significant to you because of the impulse for online risky gaming?
- 9. Fell into big debts because of the addiction?
- 10. Stole or borrowed money or sold things to get some funds to keep on staking?
If you have answered “yes” more than 4 times, then you are a victim of the binge gambling.
How to Overcome Addiction?
It is good to know that in most cases you are capable to give a help to yourself, but only when you start realizing the problem, which is the first step to self-rehabilitation. Then you ought to learn how to deal with unpleasant emotions like stress, depression and bad mood without taking risks in games. Also, it is important to find some kind of support of the family members, friends, colleagues or sport mates. Avoiding casino websites and activities that involve in playing for money will keep you out of the dangerous zone. And the best way to begin normal life is replacing bad habits with healthier activities like sports, meditation, reading or creating art.
If the situation can’t be controlled by you and your family, then it’s time to seek for professional help of a psychologist. He may offer you attending group therapy, where patients with the same troubles share their experience. There are also organizations that maintain more serious treatment in the hospital to isolate you from any destruction and giving you time to revaluate, rethink and reestablish your priorities and therefore it helps to overcome this problem.
How to Help a Gambler in a Family?
There are some pieces of advice that may be useful for the ones who have an addicted person in the family. It is recommended not to ignore the troubled member, but to share your love and support in overcoming this struggle.
It is also needed to change how money is shared and who is in charge in the financial matters to prevent the addicted one from keeping on wasting cash on games. Ask your family and close friends to help you with such relative by speaking and showing the significant reasoning to ensure him accepting the help.
Keeping Gambling Fun
The best thing, how to avoid being a victim of the excessive betting issue is to be always careful and wise while playing. Thus, having fun will not cause any bad consequences. Always remember that it is just an entertainment, which is not worth your health, family, job and most importantly your life. Enjoying it safely and thoughtfully will bring more joy, than any impulsive actions.